Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Magic (Yarn) Ball


My friend Leslie over at Wool Mountain Studio told me about 'the magic ball' the other day. How have I not heard of it before? You take your leftover yarn odds and ends and tie them end to end to make one long ball. Voila! You've found a use for all those short lengths of yarn and created a 'magic' yarn that is full of surprises. I'm crocheting this hat with a magic ball made from a big tangled glob of leftover wool needlepoint yarn. I must admit it IS fun watching the colors change as I go along. And in case you are wondering, I haven't crocheted in the loose ends on purposes. I kind of like the way it looks - it fits the whimsical nature of the Magic Ball, don't you think?

2 comments:

SarahBeth said...

Ha! I'd forgotten about this! I have a techniques book that shows the magic ball and I intend (someday) to make a scarf or hat. But I need to start the ball! So thank you for posting about it and jogging my brain...

The hat is cute and the crazy ends are cuter!

Unknown said...

What a cool idea! I am going to start a Magic Ball :)