Saturday, May 29, 2010

Today's Junk-it


Today I was able to indulge my inner scavenger and spend the morning at my favorite thrift venues. Before I even leave the house, I find a Depression Glass guide in the mail from Paperbackswap.com. This is an auspicious omen for the upcoming hunt. By the way, if you haven't joined yet, I highly recommend it. I've been able to trade lots of old books I no longer care about for ones that I actually want - like crochet books. You can't have enough crochet books.


First stop is the neighborhood Half-Price books because they are having a 20% off sale during the Memorial Day weekend. I find this book on filet crochet for $3 (because you can't have enough books about crochet, right?) and two cooking magazines for 25 cents each (because I am a little bit cooking-impaired and can always use more recipes and instruction.) With 20% off, the total comes to $3.02.



Next stop is Thread-Bare (aka The Stitching Studio), a DIY thrift store whose proceeds go to a good cause. This shop is mainly for quilters and people who sew but they often have yarn and vintage items. I find a great 70s craft magazine and a vintage crocheted potholder booklet. (Did I mention you can't have enough crochet books/booklets/pamphlets/printed material?) Drive out is $1.08.


Onward to my two-fer: two thrifts stores side-by-side in a strip mall. I strike out at Goodwill but I find these four vintage hand painted Christmas mugs at the Salvation Army, regularly 4 for $4.99 but on sale today for half-price. I now own 4 mugs that I don't have an immediate use for and will have to store until I can figure out a crafty use for them. This sort of item is my Thrifting Achilles Heel. If it wasn't for my iPhone Ebay app, which encourages me to catch and release, I would be bringing home MUCH more booty than I already do. In fact, I think the savings from this app may more than pay for my monthly data charge. Hmmm....


My last stop is the mother of all junk stores - the Goodwill Outlet Store. I am slowing down now but I do manage to find four squeaky dog toys for a total of 81 cents. A few will go to the dog, but I plan to cannibalize the others in order to get the squeakers out. My son, who hates crafting with a passion, has actually agreed to make 'dog toys' with me. My plan is to use my stash of felted wool sweaters to cut and stitch together a dog toy or two using my thrifted squeakers. Sounds like a fun holiday weekend activity, doesn't it?

6 comments:

SarahBeth said...

You had some great finds! Thrifting and garage saleing are two of the greatest pleasures known to man!

timary said...

Amen to that, sister! :)

a.M. said...

Oooh! Totally crushing on that Depression Glass guide!! Off to paperbackswap I go!

Eileen said...

Is it okay to say that it looks like you had a very productive day?

Or would that be a pre-productive day?

Moxy Jane said...

You have such a great eye for treasures!

What is the Ebay app and how do you use it???

timary said...

Thanks! I think maybe I just love old stuff.

The free Ebay app is available for download to your iPhone from the apps store. You can use it to search for an item on Ebay to see whether one has sold recently and for how much - much like you do online on Ebay.