Saturday, March 5, 2011

Thrifting Rules to Live By #2 - Church Bazaars Rock!

I've decided the best place to find hidden treasure is at a big church yard sale. It's a lot of driving around to hit more than one garage sale on a Saturday morning. And the thrift stores are on to the potential value of their stuff and lately seem to overprice accordingly. Or maybe it is just this rough economy - more people are shopping at thrift stores these days. Anyway, I went to a church yard sale this morning and scored: $10 bought a Dale of Norway sweater (not my size but perfect for making back my $10 on Ebay), a set of 6 linen embroidered place mats with matching linen runner, two large bright cotton mexican blankets, a round vintage Christmas print tablecloth (complete with cotton fringe edging), a cute 50s chalk mama fish plaque and her two babies, and a lovely Limoges teacup and saucer (perfect for mom, the Anglophile). And the icing on the cake? My donation was for a good cause - the new Summit Autism Academy of Austin.

2 comments:

a.M. said...

I went too! Two times, in fact. Right before the skies cracked open and again after I left to get Starbucks and gas. Great finds!

The WoodLand School said...

I went, too!!

I found a bed for Maya and a bunch of other awesomeness.

Then my toes froze.

:-)